Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Boys' First Camping Trip

The boys and I just returned from our first camping trip and it was an amazing success.  This was a sentence I was unsure I'd be able to write  about 72 hours ago.

So, I'll tell you a classic tale of my lack of foresight and Bruce's ample foresight.  

About a month ago I was cleaning out my inbox and came across an email for Y Guides - a YMCA-based program that one of the dads organized.  They do 2-3 weekend trips at various camp sites around us.  And I'm all, "This sounds like fun - I'll sign us up."  Looking back, I think it took Bruce an insane amount of willpower to not look at me and say:



But whatever - they said we were like 36th on the waiting list and I'd get credit with the boys for trying. A week later I get an email saying "Good news - you're in!  Fill out the form and we'll see you next week!" 

Cue Bruce pragmatically outlining some things I hadn't thought of:
1) He's in NYC that weekend for work
2) I'm no longer really what you call a "roughing it" kind of guy - I grew up camping with my Dad, and memories mostly include torrential downpours, running out of gas and Knippa family reunions (thats a separate blog all together) - I'm now more of a thread count guy.
3)  I'm sharing a cabin with 5 other dads and their kids
4) Casual dude talk is not my jam - I'm less sports and more pop culture

Nonetheless, I'd paid for the weekend and we were set.  So Friday came around and as we say in our household, "and away....we......go!"

We arrived at the camp Friday night and the Super Pandas (our group name) were in the Yarrow cabin.  Our group head said these accommodations were much nicer than the previous camps, so my expectations were positive.  Well, we walk in to the cabin and the boys shrieked in happiness while I shrieked in horror (in my head, of course).  Here's a picture of Ethan claiming his top bunk:

Ethan super excited about his sleeping situation
We go to dinner and it's what you would expect - one meal, prepared for 200 people.  Noel asked where the menu was and I told them this is what we call "roughing it."  He was intrigued mostly because he wanted to know what happened if you didn't like what they served (fast forward to us eating ham sandwiches from our cooler after seeing what was served on "Chinese Food" Night).

Well, the boys really took to the camp and it was super fun.  Rarely do they get freedom to run about and not always be in my line of site.  Over the next day and a half, we participated in some super fun activities and it was so much fun seeing the boys have a blast.  A few highlights below:

Waterslide on the COLD lake:
On the way to dinner, the boys found an old tree to climb

Ethan casting a line for the first time!

Us getting ready for a round of Life or Death - a version of tag in the forest
Ethan climbed so high - and then looked down and said, "I'm done!!"

Noel went pretty high as well!

Playing around with some props before campfire skit:

Strongman Ethan finding his own props:

Beachside s'mores



We tried archery for the first time and both of the boys did quite well.

Look at that form!

Look at that pose!  He got that tough expression from me!

We built a fort on the beach.  Afterwards I realized the engineering might have been questionable.


Here's a video of their skit from Saturday night.  It's basically them asking what kind of "pepper" someone has (pronounced like Peppa) - at the end  he asks what kind of pepper he has, they all say "toilet peppa" and throw it at the audience.


The weekend came to an end and it really was a negotiation to get the boys to leave.  They wanted to stay there much longer than we had time for.  And let's be honest - Pai needed a good shower, a stiff drink and a plush mattress.

So, maybe I can rough it after all - or at least look the part:


And who knows - after sending Bruce pictures of the weekend, he said he'd probably be in for next year (let's see if I reference this post in about a year!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment